Saturday, May 03, 2008

Riise: I Have Nothing To Prove

John Arne Riise has revealed his annoyance that Liverpool have yet to offer him a new contract, insisting he has nothing to prove to Rafa Benitez.

The Norwegian left-back has a year remaining on his current deal at Anfield, but his future at the club decidedly uncertain after an indifferent season.

And the 27-year-old, a key contributor in Liverpool’s 2005 UEFA Champions League and 2006 FA Cup triumphs, has vented his frustration at being left in the dark after seven years of loyal service.

"I don't feel that I have been treated badly, but I think that the club should have said something since I've been here seven years," Riise told Dagbladet.

"I've won everything that we have won and I've played everything that's worth playing. It's up to the boss to decide.

"It's disappointing that everything is so tight, with one year left on my contract and I haven't heard anything."

Riise has been strongly linked with a move away from Merseyside, rumours which have only intensified following his horror own-goal against Chelsea that proved decisive in knocking Liverpool out of the Champions League.

Aston Villa and Newcastle United have declared interest in the former Monaco man, who admits he would be open to a move if Reds boss Rafa Benitez fails to clarify his position at the end of the season.

"I don't know what the manager thinks, no-one does," Riise said. "I don't think about moving on but something has to happen this summer.

"It's hard to say anything for sure but I will consider a switch to another club this summer.

"There's two games left of the season, and I can get my 350th game for Liverpool. That's 50 games a season almost, I have nothing to prove."

No comments: