Saturday, May 31, 2008

Mascherano Desperate For Beijing Berth

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano is determined to help Argentina defend their title at the Beijing Olympics this summer, despite his manager’s protests.

The 23-year-old could become the first Argentine to win back-to-back gold medals at the Olympics games, having been part of the Albicelestes team that triumphed in Athens in 2004.

But Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is desperate to persuade his midfield enforcer to skip the Games, as it would mean he would miss the first four weeks of next season.

The Reds have already released Brazilian gun Lucas Leiva for Olympic duty, meaning Mascherano’s absence would leave the team thin in midfield.

But the former West Ham man is keen to achieve history in China, and insisted his commitment to his country in no way lessens his loyalty to Liverpool.

“It’s important for any athlete to defend the gold medal,” said Mascherano. “I might be the only person from my country ever to do it and I’ll go down in history.

“I owe Rafa a lot in my career and I’m very appreciative of him but I want to go to Beijing because nothing counts for me more than helping my nation.

“He knows I leave my life on the pitch every time I play for Liverpool.”

No comments: