Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lucas Excited About Future

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva believes he can only improve as a player.

The Brazilian put in a number of impressive performances in the Reds' midfield last season, rarely looking out of place as his side reached the semi-finals of the Champions League and finished fourth in the Barclays Premier League.

"I really enjoyed my first season with Liverpool," said the 21-year-old, who joined the club from Gremio.

"To play 31 games for a club like this in your first season is something I am proud of because it is not easy to adapt to football in a new country.”I did not play any games in the first three months because I was still adapting to the style but now I feel much more comfortable on the pitch and, hopefully, next season will be better.

"English football is completely different so I needed to learn quickly. I spoke a lot with Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano because they know what it takes to play in my position in England and they helped me a lot.

"I tried to do the right things and to learn from them because when you have players like them around you it makes you feel more confident.

"I think I got better as the season went on because at first I did not go forward as much as I would have liked. I was adapting and I wasn't that confident on the pitch. But as the season went on I improved and hopefully next season will be better.

No comments: