Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Bentley Drops Liverpool Hint

David Bentley's latest comments suggest that Blackburn boss Mark Hughes will have his work cut out for him this summer trying to convince the young shooting star of the merits of staying true to his club.

The former Arsenal prospect has been heavily tipped to move to Anfield in recent months, having become increasingly unsettled following Blackburn’s failure to qualify for Europe.

Rovers boss Mark Hughes has rebuffed all interest so far and is desperate to hang onto Bentley, whose link-up with Paraguayan striker Roque Santa Cruz provided most of the club’s highlights this season.

However, with news that Liverpool have revived their interest in the England internaional by way of a ₤12 million bid and Bentley himself showing signs of resisting committing to a new deal, things do not look especially good for Blackburn in this regard.

"No I haven't signed it but we're not talking about that now," said Bentley when pressed on the status of contract talks at Ewood Park.

"I watched the Champions League Final and of course that's the sort of match I want to play in. Every player when they start their career wants to reach the top of their game and I haven't done that yet.

"I wouldn't say I'm impatient - but I'm hungry for success," he added.

Bentley was speaking from England's training camp, where he and the rest of Fabio Capello's squad are preparing for their double-header against the United States and Trinidad and Tobago.

"I don't look at myself as a full international," Bentley added. "I haven't played in a big tournament, haven't played in the Champions League, so I've still got it all to do at the moment.

"That's what I'm trying to do. I've still got to work hard, get better as a player and hopefully one day I'll be in the big games."

No comments: