Sunday, April 20, 2008

Torres Ready For Biggest Test Yet


Fernando Torres has admitted that reaching the semi-finals of the Champions League with Liverpool represents the pinnacle of his career.

The Reds are due to take on Chelsea in the first leg of their last four contest on Tuesday, and Torres feels that the games against the Blues are the biggest he has ever been involved in.

The Spanish striker will once again carry the weight of expectation in front of goal for the Reds at Anfield, but having already notched on 30 occasions this season he insists that he does feel under any added pressure.

"The emotion I felt after the Arsenal game (in the quarter-finals) was very, very strong. I have never felt like that before," Torres told the News of the World. "I was almost in tears at the end of the match when they crowd were singing.

"If that was a quarter-final, I can't imagine what it will be like playing Chelsea.

"Without doubt, these are the biggest matches of my career.

"I know football means so much and can give everyone strong feelings but it's still a new experience for me.

"I scored my first important Liverpool goal against Chelsea, and I want to do it again on Tuesday.

"That goal gave me confidence to believe I could score in the big matches."

Much has been made of Rafael Benitez's early season rotation which saw Torres frequently left out of the side.

However, the Spaniard believes that the rest has allowed him to remain fresh until the end of the current campaign.

"People ask me if I am getting tired now because I am coming to the end of my first season in England," he said. "Of course it is a hard league but I do not feel tired at all.

"When you are scoring goals and the team is winning games, you have more energy.

"It is only when the team is struggling and you are not playing well or scoring goals, that you don't feel your best.

"My legs are in good shape and my heart is ready for the matches to come."

No comments: