Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Torres Has Ruud Target In His Sights

Fernando Torres has revealed that he has already reached the target he set himself for his debut season in English football.

On Sunday against Blackburn Rovers, Liverpool's 24-year-old Spanish international scored to take his season's total to 30 goals in all competitions - including 22 in the Premier League - in his Anfield campaign following his move from Atletico Madrid last summer.

With four games left in the Premier League, Torres could also set the record for the highest goals tally by a newcomer.

That is currently held be former Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, who scored 23 Premier League goals in his debut season for the Red Devils.

"It is what I was dreaming for. I expected it to take more time. Achieving all that in the first season is amazing," Torres told Liverpool's official website.

"The team have been working very well and helped me a lot.

"Settling has been very easy and you can see it on the pitch. I have been helped with everything.

"Every player feels important thanks to the fans, from Pepe [Reina, the Liverpool keeper] to the strikers, because they sing their names and support them.

"I am proud and want to beat every record I can. I feel important in the team. The game against Chelsea gave me confidence to carry on.

"I have never scored 30 goals in a season in my career and I have made it here. It has been helped by the team's style of football."

No comments: