Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Rafa Benitez: We Can't Afford To Play It Safe Against Arsenal

Rafa Benitez fears Arsenal's goal threat at Anfield tonight and insists his side will go all out to reach the Champions League semi-final.

Benitez said yesterday that despite holding a vital away goal after the 1-1 draw at the Emirates, the Gunners' potency means his men cannot afford to be defensive. A goalless draw will be enough for the Reds to go through.

But Benitez wants his side to go for the throat. He said: "Arsenal usually score goals in the league," he said last night. "Manchester United's result helped a lot. If they had won, I'd have thought we couldn't, but now I still believe we'll do it.

"Defeat against Liverpool is not unthinkable. You have to accept you might lose, but what is important is that you can believe you can win. But if I didn't believe we could win the Champions League, I wouldn't be sitting here.

"We did have a dip recently, we can't deny that. But football is strange sometimes. We've dropped a few points, but we've been consistent since the beginning of the season.

"So it's possible we can win the last five games. I said that before the Liverpool game as well, but I said five games and one draw would make it. It's compulsory we win at Old Trafford on Sunday."

Arsenal need a near-miracle to save their once-promising season from collapse but Wenger clearly has faith his players can repeat the heroics that gave them victory at AC Milan in the last round.

He admitted he was becoming increasingly frustrated at his team's stuttering form, but insisted that despite his touchline histrionics against Liverpool on Saturday, he was not cracking up.

Wenger, whose side have not won a trophy for three years, said: "I'm physically agitated more because I want to score the goals rather than because I'm really nervous. It's not because I've not won anything for a long time. If I'd won every trophy last year, I'd be the same."

Arsenal will have to score in tonight's second leg, with Liverpool having left the Emirates with a 1-1 draw last week.

"We have belief we can win everywhere in the world," Wenger added. "We'll need a similar spirit to Milan. I believe we have to go into the game with the same positive attitude.

"Both teams will be under pressure, but that's normal at this stage of a season.

"I believe my team can win. I believe in the quality of my team and the quality of my players."

Striker Emmanuel Adebayor was also sure the team could rise to the occasion. "We still have big belief we can do it," said the Gunners star.

No comments: