Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lucas ays Tribute To The Knowledge Of Benitez

Lucas Leiva believes he is learning from the best at Anfield as he prepares for the biggest game of his fledgling career.

The young Brazilian midfielder has enjoyed an encouraging first season since arriving from Gremio in the summer.

Having made his debut in the second leg of the Champions League qualifier against Toulouse back in August, Lucas has made 29 appearances and become an integral part of Rafael Benitez’s squad.

Such is the manager’s confidence in the 21-year-old, Lucas started both legs of the win over Inter Milan in the Champions League earlier this year.

And the Brazil international reckons the influence of Benitez, along with fellow midfielders Javier Mascherano and Steven Gerrard, has helped him settle and become a better player.

“Benitez is the most knowledgeable manager in the world, he continues to prove his qualities,” said Lucas.

“I knew Mascherano before I came here because I played against him in Brazil. He is a young player but is improving with every match. He can be one of the best midfielders in the world.

“And what can you say about Gerrard? He is a fantastic player, he is our captain and is a very good player.

“I have enjoyed so much playing alongside Steven Gerrard. Every match, every training session, he shows what a wonderful player he is.

“I am learning so much from him. I am gaining so much experience playing alongside him, and I know he will score the goals that will send us through.”

Despite an impressive display during the 2-0 win at Fulham on Saturday, Lucas is likely to begin on the bench in tonight’s Champions League semi-final first leg against Chelsea at Anfield.

And the Brazilian said: “This is the biggest game I have ever been involved in. I have played in some big games in Brazil, like the Copa Libertadores final against Boca Juniors. We lost the final but for me it was a very good experience, but nothing as big as the European nights I have experienced at Liverpool.

“It’s always important to have players on the bench playing well. Crouch scored a lot of goals last season and scored against Arsenal in the league and was then in the team for the quarter-final against them.

I did a good job against Fulham. Hopefully I can have a chance of playing against Chelsea, but even if I am on the bench then I want to be ready to play well for the team. It’s not just about starting a game.”

Lucas added: “When you come to Liverpool you want to play in every game, but you know there are players here like Mascherano, Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko before he left.

“You want to play, and I’ve played almost 30 games now. It’s not more than I thought I’d play.

“When I came here, I know I needed to adapt first, and I think I have adapted to the English game now.

“English football is totally different to Brazilian football, it is physical, the tempo is high and you don’t have much time to think. But I think my game now is more suited to that.”

Lucas reckons Liverpool and Benitez’s record in the European Cup can hold them in good stead tonight.

“The manager has a good record in the Champions League and Liverpool has a very good history in the competition,” he said.

“We need to trust in ourselves to have confidence in our squad and confidence in our manager.

There is no difference to how we are preparing the games. All the games are important to us, but you are always more excited when you are about to play in the Champions League.

“The players have confidence when we play at home because of the supporters. They always push us on, the atmosphere is amazing and it’s always good for us.

“But we know we are going to have to play well, because if we don’t then we won’t go through.”

No comments: