Monday, April 21, 2008

Kuyt Happy With Wide Role


Dirk Kuyt says he is happy to play in any position for Liverpool so long as he is able to help the team win trophies.

The Dutchman arrived in England with a reputation as an old fashioned centre-forward, but Rafael Benitez has been using him on the right recently as he settles on a winning formation that uses Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard as the central attacking threat.

But while many had felt it was a makeshift position for Kuyt, he insists he has plenty of experience playing out wide.

"I don't really like to be put in any specific bracket - a right midfielder, right winger, striker or second striker," he told the club's official website.

"I've probably got a bit of all these positions within my game. I can play as a striker, a second striker or on the right or on the left.

"Whatever that may be, I just like to do it my own way.

"But playing on the right is not exactly new to me. I've played there for two years in the Dutch national team and also for a year and a half when I started out at Utrecht.

"I know what to do out there, so it's not like I'm just learning the job."

Kuyt insists he is happy with the way he has played since his role was changed, but he knows it is the overall performance of the team that wins competitions.

"I'm quite happy with my performances since I've been out there. I've scored a few goals as well as provided assists and so I feel it's going well.

"No matter where I play, I like to work really hard for the team with the same main target of helping us win as many games as possible. That is what it is all about.

"It's a team sport and you win things together. That's what I like about football."

No comments: