Friday, April 04, 2008

Dirk Kuyt: I DID Know Champions League Referee

Dirk Kuyt has ridiculed suggestions he was given preferential treatment during the Champions League showdown with Arsenal - even though he admits he does know the referee.

The Liverpool striker comes from the next village to where Dutch match official Pieter Vink lives, and grew up just two miles away.

Eyebrows were raised when Kuyt got away with what seemed like a blatant foul on Gunners forward Alex Hleb in the penalty area, which only the official seemed to think was not a spot-kick.

But Kuyt laughed off as ridiculous any thoughts that the ref acted favourably towards him. He said: "The penalty decision was right. It was close, sure, but I don't think it was a penalty, and it is definitely wrong to say that the referee did me a favour because I know him. That's ridiculous. He knows Robin Van Persie as well as he knows me. It was a fair decision."

Vink is from Noordwijkerhout, a village five kilometres from Katwijk, the home of Kuyt.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was fuming at the official's decision, insisting that the ref was just five yards away from the incident.

Kuyt added: "We both come from the same area. He comes from Leiden and that where I grew up also.

"I did touch Hleb, but I didn't pull his shirt or hold him.

"I played in Holland a lot of times when he was the referee, and he gave me some good decisions and some bad ones. So I don't think he favours me."

No comments: