Thursday, April 10, 2008

Crouch Hints At Anfield Stay


Liverpool striker Peter Crouch has hinted more regular action could persuade him to stay at Anfield.

The England international had admitted earlier in the week that he was considering his future on Merseyside after struggling to force his way in to Rafa Benitez's starting XI.

But Benitez insists he wants the giant forward to sign a new long-term deal with the club and handed Crouch a starting role in the epic UEFA Champions League victory over Arsenal.

Crouch had been part of much-changed first XI for the Premier League match at Emirates Stadium on Saturday and proved his worth with Liverpool's goal in the 1-1 draw.

He then started alongside star striker Fernando Torres in the 4-2 quarter-final second leg triumph which set up yet another semi-final date with Chelsea.

Now the former Aston Villa and Portsmouth forward is hoping to play a key role as the Reds bid to secure a sixth European crown.
Crouch told the Daily Star: "To be honest it was a surprise to be playing. But this was a big, big game and I've obviously proved to Rafa that I can play in them.

"The manager has played me in a massive game and I've got to take confidence from that.

"At the minute, it's not about me being unhappy or whatever. I have to pull together and be part of a team that has a chance of getting to the Champions League Final.

"The week ended fantastically for me. Everyone knows I haven't started nearly enough as I would have liked.

"But I've played in the last two now and hopefully I've done enough to continue in that role."

No comments: