Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cheyrou Backs Reds For Final

Bruno Cheyrou has backed his former club Liverpool to defeat Chelsea this Wednesday and progress to the Champions League final.

Cheyrou is not remembered as a fan favourite at Anfield, it is safe to say.

The French midfielder played 31 games in his four years on the Liverpool books, scoring all of two goals in the process, firmly cementing himself among Gerard Houllier's infamous flops.

However, one of those goals came at Stamford Bridge in 2004, and remains the last goal registered by a Liverpool player at Chelsea’s stronghold.

But the 29-year-old, who has fallen some way short of living up to his billing as ‘the new Zinedine Zidane’, is backing his former club to break their hoodoo and earn a final berth in Moscow against either Barcelona or Manchester United.

"When I heard I was the last Liverpool scorer at Stamford Bridge I felt proud," said the Rennes man. "Playing for Liverpool remains a great source of satisfaction.

"I'll be glued to my television on Wednesday.

"I was devastated when John Arne Riise scored the own goal. But John's a strong man. I wouldn't put it past him to score the winner at Chelsea.

"My advice to Liverpool is to keep believing. They've probably got a better side now than four years ago; I'm sure they can get a result."

No comments: