Sunday, April 13, 2008

Babel: I Want To Be The New Henry

Ryan Babel is hopeful that he will one day emulate Thierry Henry and make a permanent transition from winger to feared centred forward.

The Holland international admits he studied the Frenchman's style of play from an early age and is confident he can continue to improve to his game to the sort of level that saw Henry establish a reputation as one the best strikers in the world.

"Henry is an idol for me," said Babel.

"I used to watch a lot of him on TV because he plays upfront and I like to look at how he plays and what kind of decisions he makes at key moments.

"Like me, he started also as a winger before he joined Arsenal and it was unfortunate he left for Spain the year I arrived.

"Benitez knows I like to play upfront, though, and hopefully one day he will give me the chance to play there and for me to focus on my favourite position.

"I'm trying to do the same as Henry by moving from winger to play inside. I try to improve my game so hopefully one day I'll be the same or maybe even better than the level Henry reached.

"I hope to give the manager another choice upfront and even after training I spend half an hour practising something extra such as my finishing or control to reach that level."

Babel made a stunning impact when he appeared as a late substitute in the 4-2 Champions League win over Arsenal in midweek and admits that while the Reds are determined to finish in the top four, the chance to conquer Europe remains their number one goal.

"Our focus is on the Champions League," he continued. "The title's not possible and we must try to end up in the top four instead. It's disappointing as a lot of people expected a great deal of Liverpool this year but we haven't improved on the last few years.

"If we win the Champions League though, then for a lot of fans the season would be good. But if at the end we have nothing it would be very disappointing."

No comments: