Sunday, March 09, 2008

Le Tallec Reveals Reds Regret


Anthony Le Tallec believes he made his 'biggest mistake' by handing in a loan request at Liverpool.

Le Tallec was brought to Anfield from Le Havre in 2002 by former Reds manager Gerard Houllier.

The 23-year-old made a number of appearances under Houllier, however he has barely featured since Rafa Benitez took over as manager in 2004.

Le Tallec has had loan spells at St Etienne, Sunderland and Sochaux before joining Le Mans last summer on a season-long loan.

And the former France Under 21 international has explained that he regrets asking Benitez for a loan move so soon after the Spaniard arrived on Merseyside.

"I left France when I was 18-years-old," he told L'Equipe. "There were 10 big clubs following me, but I preferred Liverpool.

"Gerard Houllier, with his French players - I believed it would be easier for me to adapt.

"I signed a five-year contract with an option to extend it for a further year. I am still under contract with Liverpool.

"My first season was very good, and I started to make a name for myself when Houllier left.

"The only regret I have is when I met with Benitez and asked to be loaned out.

"In my mind, I thought he was going to bring in Spanish players, and I was afraid I would not play anymore.

"It is my biggest mistake."

No comments: