Thursday, March 20, 2008

Kewell Fights For Reds Future


Harry Kewell has vowed to fight to win a new contract at Liverpool.

The Australian international's current deal expires at the end of the season and he could leave Anfield for nothing in the summer.

Kewell has not featured for Liverpool since the shock FA Cup defeat to Barnsley and Reds boss Rafa Benitez has admitted the former Leeds star faces a battle to win a contract extension.

The 29-year-old will miss this weekend's clash with Manchester United as he has been given permission to join up with Australia this weekend for their training camp ahead of the World Cup qualifier with China next week.

Kewell, who has seen his time at Anfield blighted by injury, insists he will not give up on winning a new contract.

"I've got a contract until the end of the season and I'm still fighting for another one at Liverpool," Kewell told the Liverpool Daily Post.

"I've got the Aussie spirit of never say die and I'll take that all the way to the end. I won't give up until the final whistle.

"The best thing for me is to get some games so I can be fighting fit for Liverpool. There's a chance here to play two games and the manager was very happy for me to come across.

"I've just got to play football.

"I've been through some good times and bad times and I've realised now that just want to enjoy my football. That's the important thing."

Celtic have been linked with a possible move for Kewell in the summer, but the winger claims he is unaware of any interest from the Scottish champions.

"It's the first I've heard of it and I've heard a lot of things in my period in football," added Kewell.

"There's a lot of fantastic clubs out there, but for now my goal is on Saturday and then China."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kewell is almost certainly on his way in the summer. If Rafa had any faith in him he would have kept him in case there was a need for him to play on Sunday. He's had enough chances and I've always thought if he was fully fit he could be a regular. Rafa has always picked him when fit but now Babel is showing his true form then he's decided to ditch Kewell. A move to Celtic, where he could play half-heartedly for most of the season and have a handful of good games would appear to suit him perfectly. Injuries have undoubtedly hampered his time at Liverpool but he's been one of the major disappointments of the past five years.