Friday, March 14, 2008

Fernando Torres Aims To Finish Season As Country's Top Scorer

Liverpool FC striker Fernando Torres has revealed he is desperate to finish the season as the Premier League's top scorer.

The pacy striker has already scored 19 league goals during his debut campaign and the Spaniard has admitted he has set his sights on the golden boot award.

Torres is just two goals behind current top-goalscorer Cristiano Ronaldo and the 23-year-old is confident he can overtake the Portugese winger.

Torres said: "It would be fantastic for me personally if I could end the season as top scorer in the league.

"Obviously football is a team game and the most important thing is the team do well.

"But being top of the goalscoring charts would be a great honour and I'm confident I can do it.

"I have 19 so far, which leaves me only two behind Cristiano (Ronaldo), so hopefully I can continue to challenge him until the end of the campaign.

"I have been pleased with my form recently and I'm hoping I can keep it up and continue to score goals."

Despite his individual success, Torres has revealed he would rather pick up a Champions League winners medal than the top goalscorer award.

He added: "Nights like the ones against Inter are why I joined Liverpool in the first place.

"Everyone knows what a fantastic history this club has in European competition.

"I would swap any personal accolades for a Champions League winners medal with Liverpool."

No comments: