Saturday, February 02, 2008

Torres Backs Benítez To Succeed

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres believes boss Rafael Benítez can bring the league title to Anfield. Even if it's not this season. Asked to choose between the club's manager and owners, there's no question who Torres would opt for.

For those who refused to accept that Liverpool were out of this season's title race, Wednesday's 1-0 defeat at West Ham United definitely spelled the end.

A last minute penalty ensured the Reds left Upton Park empty handed while yet again all of the front three sides won.

Liverpool must face the prospect of another season without the league title on Merseyside, but nevertheless fans remain overwhelmingly in support of manager Rafa Benítez.

And another man who is giving the Spaniard his support is compatriot and Anfield striker Fernando Torres, who insists he owes the former Valencia coach a lot for the way he's helped him settled in to English football following his big money move from Atlético Madrid.

“Rafa has done so much for me as a player and also brought me DVDs, videos and books to teach me the history of this great club," said Torres, who has scored 17 times already this season.

"He taught me about the successes of Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley - I really didn’t know how fantastic the achievements of Liverpool had been.

"And it was Rafa who told me to lay my hand on the Liverpool badge as you go down the tunnel and on to the pitch. He taught me that Bill Shankly put the ‘This is Anfield’ sign there and why.

"Rafa lives and breathes Liverpool. It’s impossible for me to imagine this club without Rafa Benítez in charge," Torres added. "It’s just unthinkable what would happen if he should decide to leave. They have to let the boss just get on with it. It has been a difficult season for the club because, frankly, people expected us to win the title," he admitted. "It takes time for a squad to gel. Winning the Premier League is not easy, it’s a process of growing into it."

And what fans and journalists don't see is the manner in which Benítez runs the club on a day-to-day basis, insists Torres. "I’ve been surprised by just how good a coach Rafa is," he said. "What he manages to do in every training session is draw the very best out of each player. He’s right on top of every single detail and picks up on little things even you had no idea you might benefit from paying attention to.

"Then, suddenly, he’s shown you three or four things which you had no idea needed work. Rafa massively improves every player he works with. I’ve experienced many different coaches and managed to learn a bit from each one. But every day at training you see the benefit of the fact Rafa has been in charge of so many different teams, has won trophies everywhere he’s been and dealt with dressing rooms which are known to be problematic.”

And Torres has revealed he's not alone in backing the manager ahead of the owners in the public spat that developed between the two parties towards the end of last year. "It’s not just the Spanish players who feel caught in the middle of what happens between the boss and the owners," said Liverpool's record transfer signing.

"If you think about it, Rafa has brought a lot of the squad here and put his faith firmly in them. That’s why I’m not alone in the squad in hoping all the fuss can be solved as quickly and harmoniously as possible. That is when Liverpool will get the best out of everyone.”
And while the Spanish international admits off-the-pitch matters have been a downer in his first season at Anfield, he stressed that on a personal note his progress on the pitch has been excellent. "Even I didn’t expect to score as many goals as quickly as I have," he commented of his 17 strikes. "I thought it was going to take me some time to settle in. I knew I had sufficient quality and I knew I’d get there but for things to happen so smoothly and quickly has been a real thrill.

"Maybe the style of play here in England (has helped me)," he continued. "The power and pace is perfect for me. There seems to be a bit more space here. The big teams have so much extra individual quality it’s no wonder they win all the trophies. Perhaps the tackling is fiercer here - but it’s also more honest," he expressed in comparison to Spain. You’ll see a horror tackle when there’s a loose ball but generally, I find the football more honest here than in La Liga.”

Torres says his immediate aims are now to hit top form as the Reds trying to lift silverware in the FA Cup and Champions League. And top form will only come by sticking away more goals. "I need to give credit to players like Gerrard, Kewell and Pennant, who are always looking for me with passes," he said.

"If I don’t get as many chances as I did in Spain, I certainly get better-quality openings. I’m at the age when strikers start to blossom and marry their talent to their experience. I only pray that comes at the right time for the team and Liverpool start to punch their weight because winning the FA Cup or the Champions League is within our reach this season.”

Liverpool face Sunderland today in the Premiership's late kick-off.

No comments: