Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Riise Wants To End Career At Anfield


John Arne Riise has declared he wants to end his career at Liverpool, despite speculation he could leave Anfield in the summer.

The versatile defender has fallen out of favour with Reds boss Rafa Benitez over recent weeks and it was rumoured Riise was close to a January move to Aston Villa.

However, Riise insists he is happy to accept Benitez's rotation policy at Liverpool after losing his place to Fabio Aurellio.

"It is disappointing not to be playing the last few games," Riise told Sky Sports News. "But everyone knows what the boss is thinking.

"He likes to rotate his team and the squad. I don't like not playing, but I understand he likes to rotate.

"He has opted to field Aurelio for a few matches, who has been injured a lot and has got some matches now. That is no problem with me.

"I want to stay with Liverpool for the rest of my career if possible. I've always said that and I hope it can happen, but I have to play good and keeping playing good for years to come.

"At the moment I am happy and looking forward to the rest of the season because we can do some good stuff."

And the 27-year-old, who is expected to start for Norway against Wales on Wednesday, has rubbished speculation that Liverpool were looking to sell him in the recent transfer window.

"Not that I know of," added Riise when asked if he had been informed of a possible transfer. "Just in the papers. If the club want to sell me they would have done it.

"They didn't and I think they are happy with me. I am happy at Liverpool.

"I don't think about my future too much, I just enjoy playing and we will see what happens in the future."

No comments: