Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mascherano Primed For Inter Battle


Argentine midfielder Javier Mascherano is ready to lay himself on the line to ensure Liverpool beat Internazionale in the Champions League.

Italian champions and runaway Serie A leaders Inter take on Liverpool tonight in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 clash at Anfield. They could be forgiven for feeling this is an ideal time to tackle the Reds, who appear to be in turmoil both on and off the pitch.

Defeat by lowly Barnsley in the FA Cup seemed to sum up a campaign that has so far fallen woefully short of pre-season expectations, and can no only redeemed by success in Europe.

But there is no hint of defeatism, self-pity or even apprehension in the attitude of holding midfielder Javier Mascherano. He is expected to start in the centre of the Liverpool midfield tonight against Inter, and so come up against fellow countrymen Javier Zanetti, Esteban Cambiasso and Julio Cruz.

They are his colleagues in the Albiceleste, but Mascherano says friendships will be put to one side as soon as battle commences at Anfield, where Liverpool will be looking to bounce back by securing a first-leg lead to take to the San Siro.

"I would die to try to get my team a win in this game. They are my team-mates for my country but my job is to stop Inter Milan's players," Mascherano told the Daily Mirror.

"When I play for Liverpool, I don't have any friends in the opposing side.

"When I go out on to the pitch, when I get my mind into playing mode, I forget about everything except winning. I will die to try and get my team a win.

"If that means getting myself between the ball and people who are friends off the pitch, then that is just the way it is,” he stressed.

No comments: