Monday, February 25, 2008

Liverpool’s Torres Eager To Win Titles

Liverpool striker, Fernando Torres has set his sights on winning titles, saying: “I would prefer to be remembered for the titles rather than my goals.”

The Spain international, who joined the Reds in the summer in a club record deal from Atletico Madrid, has already got to 21 goals in the season, after his fine hat-trick at Anfield against Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The 23-year-old thus became the first Liverpool forward to achieve more than 20 goals for the season since Michael Owen in 2003.

"I know the fans enjoyed the hat-trick and so did I. It was fantastic to score in front of the Kop. I am very comfortable playing here and I am very, very happy with my first hat-trick at this ground,” said Torres, whose first Reds hat-trick had come at Reading in the Carling Cup in September.

"It is important though, that we win titles. I would prefer to be remembered for the titles rather than my goals.”

He added: "I have not won anything yet, just for the under-18s and under-19s in Madrid. It is a long time ago and I have come to Liverpool to win things.

"My target is titles, not just goals. I don't know when, this season or the next but I will want that.

"I hope I stay here for a long time. I have a six-year contract so I have every intention of being here a long time, and if everything continues okay maybe I will want to sign for more."

No comments: