Thursday, February 14, 2008

Liverpool's Guthrie Wants Bolton Stay

Liverpool-owned midfielder Danny Guthrie has indicated that he would welcome the chance to extend his on-loan stay at Bolton beyond the end of the season.

20-year-old Guthrie was snapped up by Liverpool after being released by Manchester United and impressed with his performances for the club's Academy side.

His opportunities for the Liverpool first team, however, have been few and far between.

After a moderate start to his spell at The Reebok, the youngster has settled well and admits that the chance of playing in high profile games like Thursday's Uefa Cup tie with Athletico Madrid has persuaded him that a permanent move to Gary Megson's club may be in his best interests.

"A lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but I could see myself staying here," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"However, it's up to people above me to decide what happens.

"I'm sure Liverpool have been monitoring my progress but I haven't spoken to anyone.

"In terms of me staying, it is what the two clubs want to do and then it comes down to me.

"I came to Bolton to play regularly but it's a bonus to play against the likes of Athletico Madrid," stated Guthrie.

He added that he had settled well in his new surroundings and was enjoying getting first team football.

"I'm loving it now. When I first came I wasn't getting too much of a look-in. But I'm involved on a regular basis now."

Bolton play Athletico Madrid in the Uefa Cup on Thursday at the Reebok Stadium.

No comments: