Saturday, February 09, 2008

Kewell Targets New Liverpool Deal

Harry Kewell is looking forward to getting an extension to his existing deal at Liverpool as he believes Anfield “has the best atmosphere in the world.”

The Australian winger’s contract expires in the summer and as such, he is keen to get back to his best form to prove to manager Rafa Benitez that he can still play at the highest standard.

"I want to stay at Liverpool and I'm going to be working hard to get another contract," Kewell told The Guardian.

"I think this is a great club. I was out on the pitch the other night and I said to Yossi (Benayoun) that Anfield has the best atmosphere in the world. Why would you want to leave?"

The 29-year-old, who has been with the Merseysiders since 2003, has faced a lot of injury problems for last two years and is aiming to put the troubles behind him for good. Benitez too is an admirer of Kewell’s talent and had said earlier this season that the attacker could get a new deal.

"I'm one to face up to my problems,” added the former Leeds United player. “I'm not afraid to turn around and say I have got some problems and I need to work at them.

“It is hard getting back to the top level after being out for so long but I'm getting there slowly. I'm showing glimpses but I would like to be more consistent.”

On speculation of Italian and Spanish clubs interested in him, he said: "You can't help talk but the truth is that I haven't heard anything, my agent hasn't heard anything and Liverpool haven't heard anything. So I just continue playing."

No comments: