Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hyypia Seeks Anfield Stay


Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia says he is hoping to win a new deal at Anfield.

A number of clubs are thought to be monitoring Hyypia's situation with his current contract due to expire in the summer.

The 34-year-old admits clinching a new contract at Liverpool is his priority as he would like to make it ten years on Merseyside.

"My priority would be to stay at Liverpool, but it's not only up to me," Hyypia told The Mirror.

"I haven't got any offers yet from here or any other clubs, so I'm just trying to focus on the matches.

"I'm enjoying playing. I've played more games than I maybe thought I would this season because of all the injuries.

"The only thing I can do is try to play well, and when it's time to sit down see what happens.

"It would be very nice to get to 10 years at the club but I'm just concentrating on playing well."

Hyypia says he is happy to fight for his place in the team with Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel all battling for a spot in the heart of Liverpool's defence.

"Whether I stay wouldn't depend on how many games I play. I'm not like that. I'm not interested in someone promising me anything," added Hyypia.

"If we have four centre-backs, then everyone fights for their place and performances should determine who plays.

"If I keep playing well then it'll be very difficult for the manager to change things."

No comments: