Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Alvaro Arebeloa's Mixed Feelings At International Call Up

Injured Liverpool defender Alvaro Arbeloa admitted he was surprised but delighted to receive his first call-up to the Spain squad.

The defender, currently out of action with a stomach muscle injury, told Spanish radio station Onda Cero that it came as a shock when national team coach Luis Aragones announced the squad for the friendly against France in Malaga on Wednesday.

He said: “In the morning I was injured and in the afternoon I was injured but in the Spain squad.

“They’d never picked me before and Friday was my first call-up.”

Despite the elation at the prospect of his first international cap, Arbeloa was forced to withdraw because of an ongoing abdominal problem.

He said: “I spoke to him (Aragones) for 15 minutes after he’d announced the squad and told him that I couldn’t take part, but maybe next time we’d have more luck.”

No comments: