Friday, February 15, 2008

Alonso Aims To Reclaim Reds Place


Xabi Alonso is hoping to use the FA Cup tie against Championship outfit Barnsley as a springboard towards a starting berth in an improving Liverpool side.

Xabi Alonso is ready to put his injury and form woes behind him and force his way back into the Liverpool starting XI.

The frustrated midfielder has started only 13 games this term for the Reds, but is now seemingly ready to rise to the challenge of Javier Mascherano and Lucas Leiva to reclaim his place.

"It hasn't been an easy season for me," Alonso admitted to the club’s official website.

"If you ask any player what it is like coming back from injury and they will tell you the most important thing is to get a run of games.

"That is exactly what I need now and hopefully I can get that, although I know it will be difficult because Steven [Gerrard], Javier and Lucas have all been doing well.

"But I will keep on working hard in training and hopefully my chance will come."

The 26-year-old is now targeting an impressive FA Cup showing against Barnsley at Anfield on Saturday.

Indeed, Lucas was afforded a run in the side after a superb strike against minnows Havant and Waterloovile in the last round, with Alonso targeting a similar outcome.

"You have to make sure you are ready when your chance does come, so if I am selected tomorrow I will give everything.

"It is always nice when fans tell you they like to see you in the team, and I am grateful for the support I have had from them, but now is the time for me to deliver."

In light of the wayward title challenge, Alonso has turned his thought towards the Fifth Round of England’s premier cup competition. He enjoyed winning the trophy against West Ham in 2006.

The Spaniard is keen, though, to take part in a Wembley showpiece, having celebrated at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff two years ago.

"Wembley is a big incentive for me and the rest of the players because it is such a special place to play.

"I have never played there before but Stevie, Carra [Jamie Carragher] and Crouchy [Peter Crouch] have played there for England since it was re-opened and they have all spoken about how good it is.

"That day when we beat West Ham was a very special day for the team and for myself even though I had to go off after 70 minutes because I'd picked up a knock when we played Portsmouth in the league in the game before.

"The atmosphere was fantastic and the game had everything which makes the FA Cup such a great competition."

Liverpool’s Premiership performance against Chelsea last week was a big improvement after a worrying slump. Alonso is keen to help his side put a run together and achieve in cup competition, with the Champions League also due to resume.

"The performance at Chelsea was very good, but now we have to carry that on," he continued.

"It was the first step but we need to put together a run of wins.

"We know it is going to be very difficult to challenge for the title but there are still a lot of games to play so we have to do everything we can to move up the league and try to make sure we get into the top four.

"There is still a lot for us to play for."

No comments: