Saturday, January 12, 2008

Skrtel: Rafa's The Reason I Signed

Martin Skrtel admits the impression left on him by Rafa Benitez was key to him spurning offers from other Premier League clubs.

The Slovak trained with his new teammates for the first time on Friday morning before Liverpoolfc.tv was granted the first interview.

Skrtel - who was reportedly a target for Everton, Spurs and Valencia - told us his new boss made quite an impression during negotiations between the Reds and former club Zenit St Petersburg.

"The manager wanted me to come here which was important for me," said the 23-year-old. "I found him to be a nice man and Rafa was a big influence on me coming to Liverpool.

"I am looking forward to my first game at Anfield and playing in front of the Liverpool supporters. I can't wait. I have been to Anfield and it is beautiful. I can't wait to see it when it is full of fans."

The Russian Premier League is currently in the middle of a winter break, meaning Skrtel is not fit enough to play any part in this weekend's clash with Middlesbrough.

It may take the new boy 10 days to find match fitness, but with three established centre-backs already at the club, he knows he may have to be patient.

He said: "Obviously I was aware about the competition for places. Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and Daniel Agger are players with immense quality.

"I will do my best to get into the team as soon as possible. For any team to have competition in all positions is good and I will work as hard as possible to challenge for a place. Rafa hasn't said too much to me about my place just yet."

Skrtel has already had a taste of playing with Premier League players having pitted his wits against Andy Johnson and Everton in the UEFA Cup earlier this season.

Never, though, has he played alongside players of the quality of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres – until this morning, that is.

He admits his first training session was a nerve-wracking experience.

"I had my first training session with the team today and the lads all welcomed me to the club. I was a bit nervous because they are huge stars but once training started I was okay."

As well as getting used to new surroundings here on Merseyside, Skrtel will embark on a crash course in English. Not that he'll need as many lessons as some who arrive at Melwood.

He explained: "The coach at Zenit, Dick Advocaat, spoke English to the players, so I already know many of the football phrases - that should help."

Skrtel admits he owes Advocaat a debt of gratitude, not only for the English lessons, but for allowing him to complete a dream move to the Premier League.

"The past few days have been full of anxiety and wait but I'm glad it's all sorted now and I am finally a Liverpool player," he said.

"I would like to say a big 'Thank you' to Zenit St Petersburg for allowing me to come to Liverpool. I was under contract at Zenit and they helped me with this move.

"When I played against Everton it showed me why I always wanted to play in the English league. I am very happy to be here."

The player also revealed the move to Liverpool means he will have to give up his other favourite pastime, hockey.

"As a child I played a lot of hockey. When I was at Zenit we had a winter break and the manager let me play hockey then. Now I'm here at Liverpool I won't be able to do that anymore more."

No comments: