Monday, January 07, 2008

Rafa Benitez: I Won't Quit

Rafa Benitez claimed he loved Liverpool and had no plans to quit as manager after escaping an embarrassing FA Cup exit at League One Luton last night.

Benitez, who has fallen out with the club's American owners, has been linked with a summer move to Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.

But after a 1-1 draw with the Hatters, he said: "I'm very clear - I love the club, I love the fans I want to stay."

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has flown out to the US to be at a scheduled board meeting in New York tomorrow, where Benitez's future is bound to be among matters discussed.

Benitez is under pressure with the club fifth in the Premier League and 12 points adrift of leaders Arsenal.

Defeat to Luton would have added to that pressure and although Liverpool went ahead last night through Peter Crouch, a John Arne Riise own goal earned Luton the replay their spirited performance deserved.

A bullish Benitez showed more fight than his lacklustre team afterwards by insisting he wanted to stay at Anfield beyond his current deal, which runs out in 2010.

"I have two more years of my contract and if I can stay for more than two I'll be really happy," he said. "I want to stay. Finish.

"I will not talk about this all the time. I want to stay, I'm happy here, I love the club and the fans so you can write this."

When asked if he believed owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett still had confidence in him and if he would be at the club next season, he replied: "I think so.

"To help with the situation is just to keep working hard and keep winning."

No comments: