Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Babel: Superstars Brought Me To Anfield

Liverpool star Ryan Babel has spoken of his admiration for Steven Gerrard And Fernando Torres, both of whom played a large part in bringing him to the Premier League in the summer.

Dutch international Ryan Babel admitted that the lure of playing with superstars like Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard at Anfield brought him to Merseyside from Ajax last summer.

The starlet revealed that he didn’t realise how “great” the Reds were until the club made a return to the business end of European competition, having rejected the chance to move there previously.

"Liverpool had expressed an interest two years ago, but at that time I didn't have a good feeling," Babel told Liverpool's official matchday programme.

"I didn't know anything about Liverpool and the club meant hardly anything to me, which was due to sheer ignorance on my part.

"This time it was different. Liverpool had reached the Champions League final twice and I was very much impressed by the performances that Steven Gerrard had put in.

"It would be wonderful to play in the same team with such a star, I thought.

"My agent also told me Liverpool had signed Fernando Torres and I got really interested. I want to win silverware. That's why I have joined this great club."

The jet-heeled 21-year-old respects gaffer Rafa Benitez’s much maligned squad rotation, but concedes that he would like to see more playing time in an ideal world.

Babel has scored seven goals in 31 appearances for the club. The fast paced Premiership action is, however, causing him some concern as Liverpool continue to toil in the league.

"I would obviously relish more playing time," he continued.

"I am ambitious and want to play. I am sometimes a bit disappointed not to play but I appreciate Benitez's ideas.

"He adopts a rotation policy, I knew that beforehand. He has his own special ideas. He announces his starting XI one hour before kick-off. He will never give a hint at training whether you start or not.

"But I don't think it is awkward for me not be on the pitch for the full 90 minutes.

"I can't physically cope with the terrific pace of the Premier League. I invariably face a tall task, even also against the so-called small teams.

"We play compact as a team and must be on the move constantly, closing down opponents all over the park. I must provide cover for the left-back but I never shirk my duties anymore and nobody will ever catch me napping."

No comments: