Friday, December 28, 2007

Reina: I'm Happy In England, But I'm An Atletico Fan

Liverpool and Spain goalkeeper Pepe Reina admitted that one day he'd love to wear the red and white of Atletico Madrid, but for now he's more than happy at Anfield.

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina told Spanish sports daily As of his respect both for his current club and Atletico Madrid.

While he's made little secret of his desire to one day play for Atleti, though, he's absolutely delighted to be at Liverpool for now.

"I'm in my third season here and I'm very happy, and I'm an important figure in the locker room," he began.

"That makes you identify a lot with the side, your commitment is greater to the rest of the squad and to the team as well. I'm very comfortable here.

"People who read this don't know how it is to play for Liverpool in this league. Here we battle for so many titles, and are one of the best clubs in Europe.

"Atletico? I love this team, of course, for family reasons and many others. It's flattering for me to be linked with them, but I'm not looking for change.

"It's a club for which I have a special love - I can't deny it. My father played for them and I have a lot of friends there. Plus, Madrid is a great city.

"I like Atletico, but I have a contract with Liverpool and I'm happy here. Right now there's no reason to switch."

On the subject of a player who made a move in the opposite direction, the ex-Villarreal man had this to say:

"Fernando Torres? He's been received very well. He's very important for the club and has fitted in well. So far everything is going swimmingly.

"The crowd love him. They're very affectionate with him and constantly show their respect."

The 25-year-old then discussed his prospects with the international side.

"Football is full of surprises," he mused. "Iker [Casillas] is a great goalkeeper, a good teammate and a rival for the position of goalkeeper with the Selección, and he'll be tough to topple from his post.

"It takes many years to be elite in a team like Real Madrid, playing well every week, but one must be prepared when the time comes to play. I'm keen to play myself."

No comments: