Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Liverpool’s Hobbs Hopeful Of Premiership Start At Reading As Carragher One Yellow Card Away From Suspension

Young Liverpool defender Jack Hobbs is hoping for a Premiership start in Saturday’s game at Reading.

The 19-year-old, who had joined the Reds from Lincoln City in 2005, had come on as a substitute in his Premiership debut in the second half in Sunday’s win over Bolton Wanderers at Anfield as Jamie Carragher was injured with a blow to his ribs.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has however expressed his confidence that Carragher will be fit for the Madjeski Stadium trip. But the England international is only a yellow card away from making it five for the season if he enters the book against the Royals, which would then see Carragher miss the big clash against Manchester United the following weekend.

"Carra has a week to recover to the Reading game, but if I can fill in and help out I will do," Hobbs said on the club’s official website.

"I'd look forward to it and feel I am ready. I was a little bit nervous when the manager told me to strip off on Sunday. When he called me over I didn't know that Carra was injured, but when I got told I was on I was excited and nervous. I just wanted to get out there and do it.

"It's another step in my career. It's a bit more experience for me and it will make the time easier. I'm glad to have come through it without any mistakes.

"Fingers crossed I can get another chance at Reading. Steve Finnan's injury isn't that bad but I'll keep training this week and see what happens. It depends on injuries how often I play this season, but I will keep training hard and see what happens and if I get a chance, I know I must take it."

He added: "I'm relieved and quite pleased to have finally made my Premier League debut. I'm just glad to have got a run out, really happy.

"I've been on the bench a few times but haven't been part of it in the league, but I was glad to just get out and do my bit for the team.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Should there be a Salary Cap in Football?
Personally I think there should be! It’s just getting to be stupid money in football at the top of the premiership!
It’s always the same teams at the top proving that football success is based purely on money which ruins the idea of it being a sport! They’ve done it in rugby, basketball, hockey and American football and it makes the sports more competitive and better to watch!
I do a little Online Spread Betting from time to time and most matches don’t hold much surprise who is going to win, its boring! I want to see a team at the bottom pulling off an amazing season beating last seasons winners in a close fought battle!
Make things fair! It shouldn’t be about money!