Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Liverpool Want To Sign Kaladze


Reds' boss Rafa Benitez is desperate to add a central defender to his squad as he currently has just Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and the ageing Sami Hyypia among his ranks.

Benitez is a huge admirer of Kaladze, 29, who comes with the added bonus of being able to play at left back, or even as an emergency midfielder.

However the Spanish tactician has been told that he will not be given any extra transfer funds in January, and will only be allowed to spend the money that he makes through player sales.

Benitez is willing to sell giant striker Peter Crouch, who could move to Sven-Goran Eriksson’s Manchester City.

Mali midfielder Momo Sissoko will also be permitted to leave after hitting out at his boss last week over his lack of playing time. Juventus are said to be very interested.

Whether or not Milan will be willing to sell Kaladze is highly debatable, as the Georgian has formed a fine centre-back partnership alongside Alessandro Nesta.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He should be a good signing. But I don't see the point if he is going to cost more than £6m. Don't expect him featuring much this season as Agger should be back by then and Hyypia has been playing well.

Personally, I feel that we should retain the bulk of our current squad. No selling of Riise or Crouch and we must seal the Mascherano deal asap.

Time for kewell (past his prime, too injury-prone and his wage is too high) and sissoko (lost his form and no chance of playing if mascherano is staying) to go. That should fetch us at least £12m.

If someone were to offer me £7-8m for Kuyt, I will gladly do so. While I admire his workrate and all, he is no quality striker material for me.

What's your opinion?

AnfieldLiverpooL said...

Hello liverbirdonmycalf,

I believe that we might have several identical opinion on the current liverpool squad.

In particular, I agree that Sissoko and Kewell should be listed in the transfer market as well.

However, I doubt that the Americans will provide ample funds for Benitez to seal the Mascherano deal, that's why the Spaniard is now looking at Portsmouth's Muntari.

Nevertheless, I am sure that the presence of Muntari (if the transfer goes through), Alonso, Gerrard and Lucas will be more than enough to fill in the midfield engine.

What I'm more worried about is our centre-backs. For instance, I don't see anyone that is able to step in for Agger and Carragher is not getting any younger as well.

If I were to invest in a centre-back, my first choice would be Man. City's Micah Richards, while my next choice would be Everton's Joleon Lescott.

Lastly, let's just hope that Benitez is given extra funding when the January transfer window opens up.

P/S: Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Firstly, don't thank me. Thank you for having this brilliantly done blog. Your dedication and resourcefulness are admirable.

As for your opinion on centre back, I totally agree that we need to bring in someone. Micah Richards will be a brilliant option but that won't come cheap. Besides, with Thaksin bankrolling the club, I doubt we have the resource to match his wage.

I am not a fan of lescott though...moyes won't let him go for sure.

Another feasible option I feel is Steven Taylor. Young prospect. Carra and Hyypia can take him under the wings. High chance of coming over as well given that Newcastle ain't doing that well either.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Merry X'mas and if you are Muslim, Selamat Hari Raya!