Saturday, November 03, 2007

Sissoko: I Must Improve


Many Reds' fans have been getting on the back of defensive midfielder Mohamed Sissoko in recent weeks. But in an interview with LFC Magazine, the Mali international made clear that nobody is more disappointed with his recent performances than him.

"At the beginning of this season I felt I was doing well but since then I haven't been happy with my performances," said Sissoko, who scored his first goal for the Reds in August's 2-0 win away to Sunderland.

One moment that particularly upset Sissoko was the Champions League defeat at home to struggling Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille.

"I have gone over it in my head. It was a really bad moment for me. The manager put me in the team and I played very, very ****," said the midfielder, displaying an honesty that one can only admire. "I know we didn't play well as a team but it was my mistake that led to the goal.

"I also know that this happens in football. I look at that situation and realise I have learned something new about the game. The manager told me not to worry too much. He reminded me that every player makes mistakes, and that I am still young and I will learn from it."

Taking Benítez' words on board, the 22-year-old is determined to plough on and work on a return to the sterling performances fans know he is capable of. "I had some good moments at the start of my Liverpool career," remembers Sissoko fondly.

Few can forget his tireless efforts in the FA Cup Final of 2006, or the way in which he destroyed Barcelona's creative midfielders as the Reds earned a famous 2-1 victory at Camp Nou.

No comments: