Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mascherano Wants Long Reds Stay

Javier Mascherano has targeted an extended stay at Liverpool after admitting he "feels settled and would like to play at the new stadium".

The Argentina international moved to Merseyside from West Ham in January after a complicated and protracted deal which, because of the controversy surrounding West Ham's signing of the player and compatriot Carlos Tevez, was fully investigated by the Premier League.

West Ham signed Mascherano and Tevez to England in August 2006 but issues arose over the legitimacy of the Hammers signing the pair on third-party agreements and the club were fined for breaching rules.

But having enjoyed happier times in the North West the 23-year-old has stressed he wants to remain part of Rafael Benitez's side.

"I'm very happy here. I feel settled and would like to play at the new stadium (due to be opened in 2010)," he told The Sun.

"I love playing for Liverpool and if the manager wants to keep me then I'd definitely stay for a long time.

"Liverpool are one of the world's biggest teams. They've got history, tradition, success and great fans."

There had been suggestions Mascherano was unhappy with Benitez's well-known rotation policy but the player dismissed that notion.

"Rafa's always used rotation so why would he stop it when it has brought him so much success?" he added.

"I know if I want to play I need to work really hard. We have good players in every position so no one has the right to start every match."

No comments: