Sunday, October 07, 2007

Babel Embraces Change At Anfield


New boy Ryan Babel insists Rafael Benitez's rotation policy at Liverpool is "not an issue" as far as he is concerned.

The Dutch youngster could well find himself the beneficiary of the ever-changing Benitez team selection tomorrow when he is expected to get a starting place against Tottenham at Anfield.

It is fair to say that being openly critical of your manager over such a touchy subject is not good for your health, but Babel insists he is more than satisfied with the way he is being treated by Benitez, who he describes as "a really nice guy".

On reflection though, more is made of Benitez's selection ideas outside the Liverpool camp than inside, where the likes of Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia, Fernando Torres and even Peter Crouch - the main man to suffer - have all backed their manager in recent weeks.

Crouch, despite some murmuring of complaint via his advisors earlier in the season, now says: "If you play for a big club you have to accept it."

Babel, the £11.5million winger from Ajax, has only started five matches this season but he said: "It's something different for me but it is not an issue.

"Everyone knows the boss likes to change line-ups and tactics depending on who we are playing. But I understand why he does it.

"You cannot play the same way in every match and you can't use the same players all the time. Flexibility is vital.

"It is an important part of the game and even more so here in England where teams play in four competitions. It is unrealistic to expect every player to play week in week out.

"It is similar to when the boss switches the wingers in games. Sometimes I play on the left and it doesn't work, so making changes can help both wingers.

"It gives the team an unpredictability and that has to be good. It means the opposition are not quite sure about what you are going to do and that gives them problems because they're left guessing."

Now the 20 year-old aims to make his mark in Benitez's plans, while insisting he knows he can do better.

Babel said: "I know I am capable of better. I know I still have not reached my real level, I can produce a lot more and hopefully the fans will see that as the season progresses.

"I am still learning how to play alongside my team-mates, and that will take time. I am still working out how to fit into the new formations the boss uses, and the way he wants me to play.

"It is very different from Ajax, I knew this move would not be easy but generally I am pleased with how my first season in England has started.

"But it is different. In the Eredivisie the ball spends a lot more time on the grass so that is also something I'm still adapting to.

He added: "Over here you come up against more teams that do not play that way, they prefer the ball in the air. That is new to me but again is something I must get used to."

Babel stands a good chance of starting on the left flank against Spurs following the patchy display of Sebastian Leto against Marseille in midweek, while Benitez will have to do without full-back Fabio Aurelio due to a calf injury.

But it is likely that he will recall Javier Mascherano, John Arne Riise, Alvaro Arbeloa and Andriy Voronin for this game where three points are vital for Liverpool if they are to get the critics off their backs.

No comments: