Sunday, June 03, 2007

Jermaine Pennant Gunning For England Spot


Jermaine Pennant is hoping his performances for Liverpool will one day lead to an England call up.

'A lot of players have been tried on the right, but no-one's filled that gap yet,' he told BBC Sport.

'I'm still young and if I can keep playing well for Liverpool I don't see why I can't get the nod one day.'

Pennant worked hard to claim a regular place in Rafael Benitez's side and impressed many with his performance in the Champions League final defeat to AC Milan.

'I was happy with my season,' he said.

'To come from a relegation battle to play in the Champions League and come third in the Premiership, if somebody had offered me that two years ago I would have taken it all day long.

'But, for a team like Liverpool it's a disappointing season to end up with no silverware.'

Although Benitez will be looking to revamp his squad over the summer, Pennant does not believe there will be a huge influx of new players.

'I don't think there will be a complete change of squad, there may be a few players coming and going, but that happens at every club,' he said.

'I'm an easy target (for speculation), but no-one has said anything to me about leaving.

'I'm sure I'm staying. I've got a contract for another two years and I hope I can stay for as long as possible.

'Next season I'm sure I'll improve as a player and really shine, and that will lead on to the international stage.'

No comments: