Friday, September 27, 2013

Lack Of Concentration Cost Us - Rodgers

Kop boss Brendan Rodgers has praised the effort of his players but rued the momentary lapse which ultimately caused defeat against Manchester United.

Liverpool suffered their second straight defeat of the season on Wednesday night when a sole Javier Hernandez goal was enough to put Manchester United through to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup at Old Trafford.

The visitors had impressive spells throughout the game but couldn't convert any of their chances despite being boosted by the return of star striker Luis Suarez.

Speaking at his post-match press conference, Reds manager Brendan Rodgers reflected: "I thought we had good spells in the game where we got into real good areas and probably just the final pass let us down and that final finish, but I've no qualms about the players' effort. I thought they were brilliant in everything they gave to the game.

"We're disappointed with the lack of concentration for the goal and it cost us."

Following criticism of Rodgers' decision to play four central defenders in the 1-0 loss to Southampton on Saturday, the Northern Irishman changed to wingbacks for the encounter but admitted it was a decision largely forced upon him because of the personnel available.

"I've never in my life ever played four centre-halves in any game," explained Rodgers. "Anybody who knows me and knows my work, knows that's not how I would operate. But when you have no choice that's what you've got to do.

"I try to always get as many attackers on the field as I can. I just felt that was a system that suited the players that we have and I thought the players played the system very well - we got numbers forward.

"If we had to play that system again for a period of time until players are fit then, we obviously need to work more on it but it's something that you can see the players are comfortable in.

"It gives us three players to dominate midfield, gives us the two strikers up front that are arguably up there with the top strikers in the league, and it still keeps us secure at the back. If we need to play it again, I think we can play it well."

No comments: