Friday, September 20, 2013

Iago Aspas To 'Explode' With Debut Goal

Iago Aspas has revealed that he thinks his reaction to a debut goal for Liverpool will be 'explosive'.

The summer signing from Celta Vigo is yet to find the net for The Reds in competitive action despite notching four in pre-season.

The Spaniard has featured in all four of this season’s Premier League games to date but hasn't managed a full 90 minutes.

Aspas was substituted in games against Stoke City, Aston Villa and Manchester United and wasn't in the starting XI for Monday night’s clash with Swansea, although he did come on for the injured Philipe Coutinho.

The deadline day recruitment of Victor Moses forced him out of the side for the fixture at The Liberty stadium.

However, that shoulder injury to Coutinho is likely to keep the Brazilian out until late October, therefore Aspas will probably be restored to starting duties.

The 26-year-old told the official Liverpool website of his eagerness to score: "I think it will be a really explosive reaction as over the last four or five seasons I probably haven't gone as many games as this without a goal.

"I've never been an out-and-out goal scorer, but it's true that over the last three seasons I have scored quite a number of goals but my being on target isn't so important as long as the team is winning and stays at the top of the table.

"I suppose on a personal level I'm not as entirely happy as I would want to be because I still feel that I can do a lot better, but I'm working hard every day to try and improve and be able show that on the pitch to my teammates."

"I've not set myself a goals target,

"What I have done is aimed at playing as many games as possible and to try and help the team to get into the top four, which I think is the most important thing for us.

"It's all about focusing on the group as a whole in order to qualify for the Champions League.

"It's not that easy coming here from the Spanish league but I've only had a short period to settle in. As I said before I'm working hard in training and in the gym to try and improve in all those areas."

Brendan Rodgers' side has made a flying start to their campaign and is top after four games, still unbeaten.

Aspas has a chance to get on the scoresheet this weekend when Southampton is the visitors to Anfield.

No comments: