Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Henderson Eyes Starting Spot

Jordan Henderson has declared himself satisfied with the start to his Liverpool career but now hopes to kick on and start against Manchester United on Saturday.

The England Under-21 international made the move to Anfield over the summer from Sunderland and is happy with the way he has adapted to his new surroundings.

However, competition for places under Kenny Dalglish is fierce and Henderson started on the bench as the Reds claimed victory over Everton before the international break.

The midfielder recognizes that he must therefore keep striving for improvement as he looks to establish himself as a regular in the side.

"I think I have settled in okay. I am enjoying my time there and the lads have been brilliant, as well as the fans," he told Sky Sports News ahead of captaining England Under-21s against Norway on Monday night.

"I now need to kick on and do even better."

Steven Gerrard's return to fitness has given Dalglish an extra option in midfield but Henderson does not necessarily believe that will keep him out of the side.

"Hopefully not. I am not really worried about that, I think it's part and parcel of football," he said.

"Obviously Stevie is a massive player and is going to play in most games, but I just need to concentrate on what I need to do and make sure I work hard every day in training.

"Given the opportunity, I need to take it and make sure I stay in the team."

Henderson hopes to be selected for the visit of Manchester United to Anfield on Saturday, after admitting it was frustrating to miss out on the Merseyside derby.

"Obviously the derby is a massive game and everybody wants to play in it, so I was a little bit disappointed not to start, but the team did brilliantly and got a great result and I was fortunate to come on as well," he said.

"There were still a lot of positives to come out of the game and hopefully I can start the next one."

No comments: