Friday, October 16, 2009

Dossena: Why Aquilani Will Be Prem Star

Andrea Dossena is confident Alberto Aquilani's 'quality and intelligence' will ensure he has no difficulty acclimatising to the rigours of the Barclays Premier League.

The Italian midfielder began light training at Melwood recently as he continues his rehabilitation from an ankle injury.

With his Liverpool debut now firmly on the horizon, Dossena is adamant his compatriot has all the necessary features to his game to succeed in England.

"He has the quality to adapt because he is very clever," Dossena told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"He understands the football here and knows how to make the right decision on the ball quickly.

"When you're in a match in England, you don't have a lot of time on the ball. You have to think before the ball comes to you.

"In Italy you have a few seconds to think and look up, but here you only have a second and then have to play the ball because you'll have two or three opponents closing you down.

"But Alberto is very excited about playing for Liverpool and he wants to experience a new kind of football.

"He is a great player. I can't wait to see him in the Premier League."

Like manager Rafa Benitez, Dossena points to Aquilani's versatility as one of the former Roma star's key attributes, and believes the 25-year-old's acquisition will provide Liverpool with many different options.

"He will be an important player for us," he said. "With Alberto, we can do something different with our formation.

"He can play in the middle or between the lines alongside Stevie, and they can create something different for Liverpool."

He added: "I am happy we have signed him because he is a good lad, a great player and I am sure he will have a lot of success at the club."

Meanwhile, Dossena spoke of his determination to work hard in training and force his way back into the Liverpool first-team reckoning.

Injuries coupled with the excellent form of Emiliano Insua have meant the full-back has been restricted to just one senior run out so far this term, which came in the recent Carling Cup tie with Leeds United.

"I want to play, but what is important for me is to work hard every day and be ready for when the boss calls on me," he said.

"It's difficult, but I am a professional. I am a football player and sometimes you have to sit on the bench. That is part of my job.

"I want to work hard and keep a good mentality, which is important for all players, even those that play every game. You have to work hard and be ready.

"When you play for a big team, there is always competition for places and working hard is the only way I can improve and try to change the decision of the boss."

The 28-year-old was the subject of much transfer speculation over the course of the summer, but he insists his focus is on attempting to play a part in Liverpool's quest for silverware rather than seeking pastures new .

"I have never said that I want to leave," he stated. "I want to play, like every single other player, but I like it here and I like playing for Liverpool Football Club.

"The life here is perfect for me, the football is fantastic and I want to win something with Liverpool."

No comments: