Friday, February 13, 2009

Former Liverpool Great John Barnes Wants Premier League Return


John Barnes has spoken out on the strengths of his Jamaica side, a potential Premier League return, and the possibility of England one day appointing a black manager.

John Barnes' managerial career did not get off to the best of starts with a largely underwhelming and short-lived tenure at Scottish giants Celtic.

Barnes then snuggled into the cosy cocoon of broadcasting, but this lengthy sojourn was interrupted with a triumphant return to management.

In November 2008 the 45-year-old took charge of the Jamaican national team and has already guided the Reggae Boyz to the Caribbean Cup.

The former England captain though has hinted that he would be using his current position as a national manager as a stepping stone to a Premier League return.

"Do I have long-term ambitions for Jamaica? Well, my contract lasts until June," he told The Liverpool Echo.

"If things go well perhaps we can talk about the future then. But you can’t have long-term ambitions in management. The experiences of Felipe Scolari and Tony Adams this week have proved that.

"As a manager you simply have to think about winning the next match, because if you don’t achieve that short term aim, chances are you won’t get the chance to do any long-term thinking.

"Ultimately, I want to get back into football management in England," he declared.

"Where? I’ll consider anything. Any club with a chairman or a board of directors prepared to support me and empower me to do my job properly. But I am immensely enjoying being back in management and I believe, without a shadow of a doubt, I can be a great coach."

Jamaica were last night held by Nigeria, but prior to this fixture Barnes had helped guide the side up 30 places in the FIFA rankings, and together they were unbeaten in six games.

"The players here in Jamaica have great ability and great physical attributes. It’s tactical discipline and awareness I need to build up – a belief that the team ethic can be successful.

"That doesn’t come naturally. I need to accentuate the positives of teamwork as well as the flair which we possess," he said.

"I am a very methodical manager in terms of how I want my teams to play."

Noting Paul Ince's record of being the first black Englishman to be in charge of a Premier League club (at Blackburn Rovers, later replaced by Sam Allardyce), Barnes discussed the possibility of a black manager one day coaching the Three Lions.

"Well, Obama is President of the United States because he is worthy, not because of his colour. So you have to find a manager who is good first," Barnes explained.

"I’m in that category, Paul Ince is, too. If the opportunity is there, I have full confidence that I could join that managerial elite," he concluded.

No comments: