Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sami: Every Game Is A Must-Win Now

Sami Hyypia believes Liverpool can settle for nothing less than a win as they try to keep pace with the league leaders at the JJB on Wednesday night.

The Reds sit joint top with Manchester United with 16 fixtures remaining, though Alex Ferguson's men have a superior goal difference and a game in hand.

Both sides face tricky away trips this week, with United travelling to West Brom tonight before Liverpool meet Wigan.

All of the top teams have suffered shock results this season, but Hyypia believes it is getting to the stage where nothing less than a victory will do.

The 35-year-old told Liverpoolfc.tv: "If you want to be a champion you have to try to win every game. We are in second place, which makes it even more important."

Hyypia was on the bench when the Reds came from behind to beat Wigan 3-2 at Anfield earlier in the season.

He added: "Wigan played well that day. They passed the ball well and were very aggressive in the way they closed us down. That made it more difficult for us to play. But we showed character.

"You make your own luck - if you play well, you'll have luck on your side. And I think it evens itself out over the season."

Hyypia has made 16 appearances in all competitions this term, most of which in recent months.

The veteran admits it was hard watching from the sidelines at the start of the campaign before a combination of hard work and injuries got him back in the first XI.

"It was frustrating at the start of the season when I wasn't playing so much. Sometimes I was watching the games at home. Sometimes I wasn't in the squad," he said.

"Every player wants to play. Even at my age I enjoy playing each game.

"But I kept working hard, and when I got my chances on the pitch I tried to do the best I could. That's the only thing you can do.

"I'm happy now because I've played quite a lot recently. I am enjoying playing at the moment."

Another man fighting for one of two centre-back slots is Slovakian international Martin Skrtel.

The pair may be rivals, but the big Finn has nothing but respect for his young counterpart.

He said: "Martin showed when he came here a year ago that he was a quality player. He's aggressive, quick and comfortable on the ball as well. He is very easy to play alongside.

"I always try to talk to anyone playing in my position and help them improve their game if I can. Before every game we talk about a few things that might be important in the game and if that helps him then I am happy."

No comments: